Published by TTsipa at February 1, 2017
Director of Earthlife Africa Johannesburg
Position Title: The Director is the leader of the organisation and provides strategic vision while taking care of the human, financial and developmental health of this entity.
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa.
Remuneration: R50 000 – R60 000 (dependent on qualification and experience)
Start date: 1 May 2017 or as soon as available
Earthlife Africa Johannesburg (ELA JHB) is an environmental and social justice organisation established in 1988. Initially a volunteer organisation that mobilized civil society around environmental issues as they affected people, ELA JHB is now an NGO dealing specifically with issues of energy and climate change. Our current campaigns are focused on stopping the use of coal and nuclear while promoting a just transition to clean, sustainable energy and a low-carbon economy. Our work is local and global, aimed at changing policies and behavior through building awareness and the capacity of civil society and government.
For more information visit www.earthlife.org
Roles and responsibilities
The Director will:
1. Provide strategic direction and leadership
2. Ensure that the proposed organisational transformation takes place
3. Ensure proper human resources management is in place in the organisation
4. Provide, with assistance of financial staff, proper financial management
5. Be the interface between donor and the organisation, raise the requisite funding to meet the project objectives, ensure good donor relationships and satisfactory donor reporting
6. Direct and advise the work of the staff relating to international and domestic energy & climate change policy, science and economics
7. Give guidance to the research and capacity building work of the organisation
8. Represent the organisation in the media (TV, radio, print, social media) and engage with journalists, editors and academics
9. Engage legal support on campaigns and provide leadership in litigation issues and potential police actions (arrests, gatherings)
10.Advise and guide staff on grassroots mobilisation and engagement with other civil society and gender movements
11. Represent the organisation or delegate and guide staff when engaging with the general public, Parliament, Government departments, Ministers, Presidency, business, civil society, religious organisations.
Competence and personal qualities
Key areas of required knowledge
• Knowledge of International and Domestic Energy and climate change and energy poverty debates and options
• International relations and international civil society, especially in terms of environmental justice.
• Knowledge of debates within environmental movement
• Knowledge of domestic civil society networks
• Knowledge of relevant legislation
• Knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices & ethics
• Experience with litigation • Experience with police actions (arrests, gatherings)
• Experience with journalists, editors and academics
• NGO financing and fundraising: Small, medium, large, foundations and institutional (EU, USAID)
• NGO reporting, monitoring, evaluations, LFAs
• English language: ability to edit and write • Skills in listening, communication of ideas, creative problem solving, decision-making • Ability to work as part of a team
• Excellent time management skills • Strong interpersonal skills, cultural awareness, and ability to negotiate successfully
• Ability to work on own initiative
• Willingness to travel locally and internationally
A degree and post-graduate qualification in a relevant discipline.
At least five years of experience in a similar role, preferably in the NGO sector
To apply, please email your CV with at least three contactable references and a motivation letter to email@example.com. Applicants are kindly requested to mark the subject line of their submission email: Director post – [insert your name and surname]”.
Applications will close noon on Friday the 24 of February 2017. We will contact shortlisted candidates within 1 week of the closing date. If you are not contacted within this time period please consider your application unsuccessful. Unfortunately we not are able to offer feedback on any application made for this job posting. ELA Jhb reserves the right not to make an appointment. AA candidates are encouraged to apply.