Earthlife Africa Johannesburg’s Acid Mine Drainage Working Group was formed in July 2009 in response to the growing crisis of acid mine drainage on the Witwatersrand. The group seeks to:
- Raise awareness of the issue of acid mine drainage, especially amongst communities that are most affected
- Hold government and mining companies accountable for the negative consequences of their actions
- Encourage those companies that do take their responsibilities seriously and implement good practice
- Promote practical action, such as legal action, monitoring and rehabilitation projects that members of the public can participate in
- Stimulate debate about the need for South Africa to diversify its industrial base and develop cleaner, more sustainable industries
If you would like to contribute to our work – through offering your comments, ideas, volunteering your time, or making a donation – contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.